Fallout RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fallout rpg

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Strength Reqs on small guns

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadence
GM
GM
Cadence

Strength Reqs on small guns Empty
PostSubject: Strength Reqs on small guns   Strength Reqs on small guns EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 3:18 pm

The M16A2 comes to mind, to wield it requires a minimum strength of 6 for a weapon which is kinda subpar in kick compared to some other weapons. So my question is whether or not it will be or should be enforced.

If it isn't enforced it saves people time by not screwing with it.

if it is, I think people should still be able to use the weapon in questionbut will take a 10% cumulative penalty due to kick on secondary shots per point of strength in between. So if said person has a 4 strength and shot a three round burst his first shot is normal, his second is at -20% and third at -40% due to the nature of the kick.
Back to top Go down
Deodanth
Vet Player
Vet Player
Deodanth

PostSubject: Re: Strength Reqs on small guns   Strength Reqs on small guns EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Cad brings up two points here, both very good ones, one about STR and the other about progressive penalties for recoil.

The Strength requirements for weapons make sense across the board, but there are some glaring exceptions. M16A2 is one example of a poorly statted weapon in Fallout. I trained and qualified with the M16A2, as have hundreds of thousands of U.S. service members over the past 20 years, and my STR is probably only a 4 or so. It weighs about nine pounds loaded and is designed to be very easy to handle. There were those who couldn't qualify on the rifle range, but not because they were too weak to handle the weapon (it was more because they didn't apply the mental discipline to learn basic marksmanship). You can shoot the weapon and do it well without a 6 STR. Likewise there are some small handguns that need a 5 STR and some bigger ones (like the Desert Eagle) that only need a 4, and so on.

As far as penalties for shooting bursts, this is not in the basic PnP rules but I think it was incorporated in Fallout 3. It rears its head in the "Nice Grouping" perk which mentions -4 adn -8 penalties for progressive rounds fired, but that's the only place I have found any mention of burst penalties.

I think a straight -10% penalty for every point of STR you are short of the minimum is reasonable and won't break the game for anyone. Yes, this would mean a guy with 1 STR could pick up and shoot a minigun, but he'd be at a -60 to hit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldrepublicguild.com/FALLOUT/INDEX.HTML
Conrad
Admin
Admin
Conrad

PostSubject: Re: Strength Reqs on small guns   Strength Reqs on small guns EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 9:30 pm

you both make excellent points and I am sure that such an amenment to the rule wouldnt hurt anything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldrepublicguild.com/fallout/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strength Reqs on small guns   Strength Reqs on small guns Empty

Back to top Go down

Strength Reqs on small guns
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fallout RPG :: General :: Suggestions & Ideas-
Jump to: